Millions of people in America suffer from bruxism or teeth grinding and jaw clenching. We understand the impact bruxism has on your oral health and well-being, which is why we provide Tremont dental care in IL to provide relief and protection from the damage caused by bruxism.
If this condition is not addressed, it can lead to discomfort and a range of oral health problems. Fortunately, a simple and affordable solution to teeth grinding is wearing a mouth guard. This article will explain how mouth guards work, their benefits, and how you can get one yourself.
The Importance of Wearing Mouth Guards in Protecting Oral Health
What Is Bruxism?
Bruxism is a condition characterized by the grinding, clenching, or gnashing of teeth, often during sleep or times of stress. It is a common problem that affects millions of people of all ages and can lead to a range of oral health problems, including tooth wear, cracked teeth, and jaw pain. In some cases, bruxism can lead to headaches and other health issues, such as temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders.
What Causes Bruxism?
The causes of bruxism are not fully understood, but several potential factors may contribute to the condition. Some common causes of bruxism include:
- Stress and anxiety: Psychological stress is a common trigger for bruxism. People who experience high levels of stress or anxiety may be more likely to clench or grind their teeth, especially during sleep.
- Misaligned teeth or jaws: If your teeth or jaws are not properly aligned, it can lead to abnormal tooth contact and increase the risk of bruxism.
- Medications and substances: Certain medications and substances, such as stimulants, antidepressants, and recreational drugs, may increase the risk of bruxism.
- Sleep disorders: Bruxism is commonly associated with sleep disorders, such as sleep apnea or snoring, which can cause disrupted sleep and lead to teeth grinding or clenching.
- Genetics: There may be a genetic component to bruxism, as some people may be predisposed to the condition.
Identifying the underlying cause of bruxism is important to determine the most effective treatment approach.
How Do Dental Mouth Guards Work?
Dental mouth guards are custom-fitted devices that fit over your teeth, providing a protective barrier between your upper and lower teeth. They work by absorbing the force of your teeth grinding and jaw clenching, preventing damage to your teeth and jaw.
There are three types of dental mouth guards: stock, boil and bite, and custom-made.
Stock mouth guards are pre-made and come in a limited range of sizes, while boil and bite mouth guards can be molded to fit your teeth by boiling them in water and then biting down on them.
Custom-made mouth guards are the most effective and are made from impressions of your teeth to provide a perfect fit.
What Are the Benefits of Wearing a Mouth Guard?
Dental mouth guards offer a range of benefits in preventing teeth grinding and jaw clenching:
- They reduce pain and discomfort caused by these conditions, making sleeping and functioning easier during the day.
- Dental mouth guards protect your teeth from damage and can help prevent the need for costly dental procedures.
- They protect your jaw from strain and reduce the risk of developing TMJ disorders.
Do You Need Tremont Dental Care in IL?
Teeth grinding and jaw clenching can cause serious damage to your teeth and jaw if left untreated. Dental mouth guards provide a simple and effective solution to protect your oral health and reduce pain and discomfort. At Smalltown Dental, we offer custom-made mouth guards tailored to your needs. Our team will assist you every step of the way. Contact us for an appointment.