Snoring is common, but some people experience a more troubling condition that can lead to health issues: sleep apnea peoria il.
Sleep Apnea Symptoms
Sleep apnea has been linked to diabetes, stroke, heart disease, and more. You may have this condition if you experience some of the following:
- Loud, recurring snoring
- Daytime drowsiness or fatigue
- Choking or gasping for air in your sleep
- Neck size greater than 17 inches (for a man)
- Neck size greater than 16 inches (for a woman)
- Stopped breathing during sleep
- Unexplained weight gain/trouble losing weight
- High blood pressure
- Heightened anxiety, depression, or emotional issues
- Acid reflux
- History of stroke or heart attack
- Falling asleep during the day when activity is low
- Family history of sleep apnea
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, please schedule an appointment or let us know during your regular checkup.
What Causes Sleep Apnea?
If you suspect you have sleep apnea, you may be wondering about the source of this condition. There are two potential causes:
- Central Sleep Apnea is caused by your brain sending incorrect signals to your muscles in your sleep.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea is caused when your tongue or throat muscles periodically obstruct your airway.
Obstructive sleep apnea is the most common form of sleep apnea, and it can often be successfully treated in a dentist’s office, often with a night guard. If you’re experiencing central sleep apnea, you will need to visit a sleep specialist.